LMIA based & LMIA Exempt work permits

Temporary Work Permit

Temporary Work Permit with LMIA

Temporary work permits allow over 300,000 foreign workers to travel to Canada each year. Whilst working in Canada temporarily, a work permit will be required by most foreign workers.

About Temporary Work Permits

An offer of employment to a foreign worker is usually required from a Canadian employer before the worker may be granted a Temporary work Permit by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). This is a several step process. A temporary Resident Visa (TRV) may also be needed in order to enter Canada, depending upon the foreign workers country of citizenship.

LMIA Exemptions

In most cases, a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) must be received by a Canadian employer to allow a temporary foreign worker to enter Canada. However in certain scenarios, the need for this LMIA could be waived.

Working in Canada without a LMIA is a possibility, shown below are some common scenarios where an LMIA is not required.
Possible LMIA Exempt Situations

  • Significant Benefit
  • Reciprocal Employment
  • Canadian Experience Class

Need consultation for work permits?